Indie Girl & Pop Boy

We Need A Little Edge With Our Electro Pop

Thursday, April 20, 2006

Blasting On Indie Girl's Tiny White Earphones This Week...

Yes, we're not dead despite me feeling it a bit, due to illness. But I will bring a a small list and little description of the songs that I am currently in love with.

Chicks On Speed - We Don't Play Guitars
Silly, shouty song with funny lyrics and a killer bassline. Yes, Chicks On Speed really deliver with a nonsense song all about the fact that "THEY DON'T PLAY GUITARS!!!" Definately check it out. Their best song from what i've heard. The best part is definately when the long high pitched lengthening of "guitars!" turns into a lush, mad theremin-like electro mess. Adore it.

Queens Of The Stone Age - No-one Knows
Ok, i've heard this song about a million times and before it never really had any impact on me. Recently, i've been listening to it a lot more and listening to the slightly dirty yet tortured vocals and the hard, fast bullet-like drumming and slowly beginning to love the song.

White Rose Movement - Girls At The Back
This is another electro-rock band that are way too fashionable for their own good (and if they saw me they'd be ashamed to have me as a fan) but I can't help but like this tune. It's quite similar to a lot of offerings of late but I reckon that this band have a slight edge over the rest of the market. I've heard them compared to The Bravery but don't let that turn you off, as they're really nothing like The Bravery at all. This band are actually good.

Beck - Loser
I love the white-trash country start to this song that leads into clever lyric after clever lyric spilling out of Beck's mouth. My personal favourites being "with the re-run shows and the cocaine nose-job" and "he hung himself with a guitar string". It's slightly morbid but it's really THE song to listen to when you just couldn't give a fuck about anything.

And now for the inevitable MySpace links:
Visit Chicks On Speed on MySpace
Visit Queens Of The Stone Age on MySpace
Visit White Rose Movement on MySpace
Visit Beck on his irritating website because he doesn't have a pissing MySpace! (as far as I know)

6 Comments:

  • At 1:09 am, April 21, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That QOTSA song is my brothers favorite song of all time.
    Vis-a-vis Beck on Myspace, I point you towards the following link. :)

    http://www.myspace.com/beck

     
  • At 9:58 am, April 21, 2006, Blogger Adrian said…

    Chicks on Speed should be great. But I cannot listen to any of their songs on my mp3 as they are all SO annoying. Just Plain Irritating.

    This song, however, is great. Have you the version with Peaches? It's even better. "Well, you may not play guitar but Peaches does. And I love it!"

     
  • At 2:45 pm, April 21, 2006, Blogger Greg said…

    I love this blog!

    I'm with adrian on Chicks on Speed. They waste their potential.

     
  • At 3:48 pm, April 21, 2006, Blogger Indie Girl said…

    The Peaches version is infact the one I have and my comments do pretty much fit in with yours when I say that is their best work. Because it really is compared to the rest.

     
  • At 4:57 pm, April 25, 2006, Blogger Indie Girl said…

    Yes, the Dresden Dolls version that i've never actually heard.

    Feel free to send me it, PB...

     
  • At 5:36 am, May 02, 2006, Blogger Robbing The Dead said…

    I saw Chicks on Speed at Popstarz about a year ago or so. They were alright, not my cup of tea really. Apart from that song. Is it called Words? You know the one. Are they actually chicks?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home