Indie Girl & Pop Boy

We Need A Little Edge With Our Electro Pop

Sunday, October 30, 2005

C'est La Vie! French Pop

Pop Boy has been running non-pop-related errands in Paris. I didn't really hear much of the music over there because I was too busy meeting Mickey Mouse, hanging around in Pigalle (although I must note that I heard 'Hung Up' blasting out of a lapdnacing club) and strolling around Notre Dame.

But I did pick up this compilation CD in the Virgin Megastores on Champs Elysees which is the biggest fucking shop I've ever seen in my life and nearly made me faint with excitement, or wet myself, but less about that. Hits France 2005 seemed to sum up just what I was looking for: The Hits of France, from the year 2005.

Now, of course, this is just one song each from a range of artists signed to Sony BMG France so is unlikely to really show a complete scope of the French music scene. But I figured it would be water-testing teaser taking a glimpse at Gallic pop without spending loads of money, which I could have, and very nearly did.

I also took a quick look at the French charts. Number 1 is our old 'friend' the Crazy Frog with 'Popcorn', whereas 'Axel F' is still at #5. Celine Dion is #2. Places 7 and 8 are both taken up by an artist called Pinocchio (and yes! it's a cartooney act based on THAT Pinocchio) with 'T'es Pas Cap Pinocchio' and 'Pinocchio En Hiver (Kalinka)' respectively. I haven't looked into who or what 'Space Soap' by Mr Cosmic Vs Fat Dog is, but I'm guessing that it may be equally novelty. I can only assume then that in France at least it's silly season for music all year round.

Laam is at #10 with 'Petite Soeur' which my very basic knowledge of French tells means Little Sister. This song features on the CD I bought and, perhaps somewhat surprisingly, it's not bad at all. Whereas Mylene Farmer is French Madonna (and then some), Laam appears to be a sort of French Javine, with a song that has a typical RnB pop beat complete with the oh-so-2005 sound of hip-hop-strings and a refrain that embeds itself into your (my) head regardless of the language barrier and won't go away, in the good.

Another song on my album that appears in the charts is 'San Ou (La Riverie)' by Dezil, a lovely summery sounding ska-influenced calypso song that yo-yos between various male rappers and a female songtress singing the chorus, that much like 'Petite Soeur' sticks in your head and won't go away. This song is made even more sweeter by the sun still shining when it's nearly November. If I'd've discovered this earlier it could've easily been my song of the summer.

Other moments of (half) brilliance come from Gage 'Pense A Moi' which is once again a hip-pop style song, but this one appears to be a sad ballad. But, if you really try hard enough, you can dance to it. Now, considering it's a ballad you can dance to, you'd expect it to be bloody amazing, which it isn't. You expect it to go somewhere, and then it doesn't. It doesn't even have a huge key change!!

Then there's Gregory Lemarchal (yes! a popstar called Greg(ory)!!! How ace?) with 'Je Suis En Vie' (direct translation 'I Am In Life' which I assume must be wrong unless our Gregory is a bit dim) and he shows everyone how ballads should be done. With guitars. Then more guitars. Then a pause before the chorus. Then 'poetic' pianoes. Then more guitars when the vocals hit. Then vocals that make you want to cry a bit and go all high and intense - because that's just how bad it is being him. This is so Eurovision. Paris 2007!! etc etc. Also! Gregory won French Star Academy or some other suchlike contest. And! He's not that bad to look at, is he? No, he isn't. Look.

I may write more later. But I'm hungry and I'm crying out for some potato* so bye for now.




*No! This is not a euphemism

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home