Indie Girl & Pop Boy

We Need A Little Edge With Our Electro Pop

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

More New Things

We are living in a material and I am a material Pop Boy. That's why I've been listening to these ace songs about the brilliance of material goods. And then some others.

Pay TV - I Want More Stuff
I only recently found this demo from Pay TV, our ambitiously shallow super-pop friends, on Catchy Tunes Of Sweden. It's, as they might say, off the hook. There appears to be some time kind of 80s Pac-Man/Space Invaders battle going on in the background as there are lots of cool whizzes, beeps and bleeps, which everyone should know, is like, THE most important component of any truly brilliant song.

I don't know who it was that made the rule that women can't and shan't be bought but I'm sure these girls would like to talk to them. Some might say that the sentiments of this song send feminism several decades back but I have to disagree. Pay TV are by no means 'giving in' to men. Sure, they're kept women, but hey, why the fuck shouldn't they be? It's not that they can't get a job of their own, they just don't want them. Spending other people's money is much more fun. The girls aren't ashamed to give you their requests, nay, demands. And if you can't afford them, then you should move onto cheap slag Jennifer Lopez, because you are a loser. And poor. And boring. Duh!

Also, Pay TV have an ace blog y'all should click onto.

The Pipettes - It Hurts To See You Dance So Well
The Pipettes are ace! And if it wasn't for a couple of other people, I might as bold to say that they will probably be my favourite act of 2006. This song is diddy, lasting just 1:06. But hey, what it lacks in quantity, it more than makes up for in quality. This song will make even the most moody indie boy or girl dance. Never before has jealously and bitterness sounded so darn jaunty.

Pipettes are producing 'indie' music so pop that the boundary between what is pop and what is indie is becoming more and more frayed. What will this all mean? Will indie music be forced to become underground and, well, indie(pendent) again? Will Eurovision be seen as more important than the fucking Brit Awards? Will people stop making good pop and get just as contrived as the schmindie bands of recent years? So many questions, so little time. Only the aceness of the Pipettes can decide.

Baxendale I Built This City
Edward O had this on Enthusiastic But Mediocre v2.0 a while back as one of his favourite singles of 2005. (Yes, it's from last year, how very unprogressive of me etc. ) But I can see why it was rated so highly. What I can't understand is how it managed to allude me for so long.

A kicking electro beat and a guitar lick that may or may not be deliberately intended to make me think of Pink Floyd's 'Another Brick In The Wall'. Falsetto vocals about high rises. Brilliant practically spoken English vocals. I assume this city is sort of metaphoric for the amount of devotion etc put into a relationship but I'm happy to dance along and believe that a man has actually made a city, with his bare hands. It should perhaps be a rule that all men should make cities for their partners and then buy them thigns to put in it. Why? Because Pay TV deserve it.

I dare you to listen and not have the chorus in your head all day. Go on, I dares you.

Nelly Furtado - Maneater
Nelly's new single 'I Am' has leaked, and that's a cracker, but it's nothing in comparison to this stomper. Nelly's back and better than ever for sure. This pisses all over 'Try', 'Powerless' and the like, and the last album was a good one! One problem I've always found with Ms Furtado is that I get constantly frustrated and can't help thinking she's missing something, her previous stuff has been great and you can tell there's a lot of talent and star quality there. But it's never seemed like she's been fulfilling her full potential. Until now. 'Maneater' is a writhing, sweaty, energetic pop song born to make you dance like a flydog from 1994.

If this is anything to go by, then the new album 'Loose' expected later this year is going to be wicked!

1 Comments:

  • At 2:08 pm, January 26, 2006, Blogger Adrian said…

    Have PB and IG heard the other Pay TV songs? Top Model and Miss Capitalist. They are even better than I Want More Stuff.

    Maneater is fantastic - primarily for the chorus but also the gnuuuuh-h-uuuuuuh sounds and the "love you, love you long time" line.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home