Indie Girl & Pop Boy

We Need A Little Edge With Our Electro Pop

Sunday, January 15, 2006

New Things

Lots of people like to make predictions about who will be big by the end of the year. I'd like to claim Joss Stone, Go! Team and KT Tunstall whom I was into months before any of you other suckers as my previous predictions. This isn't so much my predictions of whom will be or even could be big, this is a list of new pop acts that are really very good and deserve to be, but probably won't be, huge.

Leela James
I found a link to Leela James' site on a German music site whilst looking for information on Frank Popp. The streaming of her album sounds very good, like a maturer version of 'Soul Sessions'-era Joss Stone. Her best song 'Music' is a beautiful and soulful organ-led beg for mercy in a world where music is generic and it "ain't about tha song no mo'/s'all about the video". Half scathing-half begging Leela balances heartache and ecstasy perfectly, serving each and every song up with a loving spoonful of soul and undeniable vibrance. Her album 'A Change Is Gonna Come' was apparently released in June, which indicates that it's highly unlikely she's going to be big, but that makes her no less of a great find. And I can't be the only one impressed by Leela, as her album features production
appearances from big names Kanye West, Raphael Saadiq, Wyclef Jean and Comissioner Gordon.


West End Girls
Living in the shadows of both the Pet Shop Boys (well, duh) and the A*Teens (a great pop band originally formed as a tribute band of another even greater band) every pop blog seems to have mentioned this duo, so I thought it was about time I jumped on the band wagon. Now, only being born in 1988, you'll excuse me for not being the biggest Pet Shop Boys fan in the world, simply because they were before my time. Then add to that the fact that I don't 'get' Neil Tennant's voice and where I'm able to appreciate the genius of the Pet Shop Boys', I'm not a huge fan. Which is why this band is perfect. 1980s genius repackaged for the 2006 audience. West End Girls' 'Domino Dancing' is brilliant from start to finish, pure perfection. Plus, PSB were like the people who invented the whole new-wave electro thing and that's all the fashion nowadays, so surely a band so heavily influenced on the pioneers of a genre are sure to dominate it. And when they sound this good, why wouldn't they?

4 Comments:

  • At 10:40 pm, January 16, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I like Pet Shop Boys, despite only being born in 1987, purely because my mother is a massive fan.

     
  • At 6:57 pm, January 20, 2006, Blogger Aaryn said…

    sorry im slow... im just now adding a link back

    hehe thanks!!!!!!

     
  • At 5:32 pm, January 23, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hello!
    First i'd like to compliment you on your blog. I'm a particular fan of your styles of reviewing and writing. I run a website called Plattenspieler which has just go started and we run a Desert Island Discs section which I would love you to participate in. Essentially its a list of your top 10 albums and 20 songs ever and we only do it through curiosity and general noseyness at other people's musical tastes. Our website is at plattenspieler.moonfruit.com and if you want more info, then email at plattenspieler@hotmail.co.uk. So anyway, just email if you interested and look out for your blog being recommended in the next few weeks.
    Sam Unsted.

     
  • At 8:24 pm, January 24, 2006, Blogger Pop Boy said…

    Hello Sam I'll be over to look at your site now. I'd best start updating it.

    Pop Mom is rubbish. She likes U2 and Paul Weller so such brilliance was hidden from my young ears. It's a wonder I turned out as I did with all that racket.

    Pop Boy

     

Post a Comment

<< Home