Indie Girl & Pop Boy

We Need A Little Edge With Our Electro Pop

Sunday, April 23, 2006

Blasting On Pop Boy's Stereo This Week

It has quite a few balst from the past this week. This is, however, due to the fact that all the new songs out there are a pile of chaff (yes - I'm talking to you Dannii Minogue and LL Fucking-Cool Pissing-J).

Infernal - From Paris To Berlin
All the cool people out there will have already heard this about a year ago I'm sure (but as you'll see, being old doesn't blasting from my stereo). Unfortunately, British radio and record companies are too busy spunking over Gnarls Barkley and James Blunt to think about looking just over the North Sea where they've really got it going on and try to import some pop tuneage. Which is why Infernal's appearance on The Box shocked me as the song's demographic is loctaed within the song title. They've slipped through the net. Don't hang up your big sunglasses and candy canes just yet pop kids, Infernal is here, which means of course, with get hyperbole, that the pop revolution is upon us. Give us six months and we'll be sick of the latest Marie Serneholt single as it sits atop of the charts for the seventeenth consectutive week. Well, we can dream. But yes, Infernal are here! Bring on the bunting (or Bunton, or both)! Woop!

Sugababes - Gotta Be You
I bought the Amelle version of the 'babes album last week and it's been getting pretty generous rotation. All in all it's a pile of meh, if I'm honest. The singles so far were kind of the obvious choices and there isn't much left to choose for the fourth single, but this one has been re-done by Amelle which suggests it could be next (though I'm plumping for 'Follow Me Home'). Anyway this song 'Gotta Be You' was, on first listen, standard reject Ciara fodder. Then after a few spins, the light bulb was switched on and I got it. This happened about the time I was getting ready to go out, so maybe that helps. The chorus is now lodged firmly in my head like a stubborn mule that refuses to move. And! Ciara has done a(n inferior) version of this song which shouldn't be too hard to track down if you know that muzic matters and all that.

Chris Brown - Gimmie That
Speaking of seemingly meh-ish Ciara fodder... here's Chris Brown. I'm just going to ignore that 'Yo (Excuse Me Miss)' ever existed because quite frankly it is awful, and I'm sure Chris Brown must know that. I'd go as far as to say it makes 'You're Beautiful' sound like 'Like A Virgin'. It's that bad! But! 'Gimmie That' hints at a return to form promised by ghetto-fabulous 'Run It'. And that is 'hip'-music-that's-more-likely-to-get-played-at-Telford's-hottest-night-spots-than-Girls-Aloud- so-will-do-for-a-bit-and-you-can-dance-to-it music. It's quite a niche genre but when done well it's very very good. Addicive as fuck as well. The bastards!

Bjork - Army Of Me
Bjork's 'Debut' is never far from my stereo but this is from 'Post', which is equally impressive. I tried to get the DJ at the indie place I went to on Friday night to play some Bjork or Kate Bush but he rather conveniently "couldn't find it". He was actually just scared of just how much I would've rip up that dancefloor if it had got played. So anyway, when I got home on Saturday morning this was the very first song I blasted, whilst sticking two fingers up at the DJ. If I were a DJ, this would be in my setlist EVERY night. Infact, some nights it might be this, 'Big Time Sensuality' and La Bush's 'Wuthering Heights' on a constant repeat for three hours. And you'd fucking love it.

Pipettes - Because It's Not Love
Have I god-worshipped the Pipettes yet? I should have because I was there at the very beginning, and I will still be when they become global-indie-mega-stars. Which they will, if there's any justice in the world. Brilliant retro style girlband pop (is it pop, you can dress in polka dot dresses play guitars and hang around the indie crowds all you like, this is pop) expected of maybe The Orchids or The Shangri-Las. Speaking of the Shangri-Las, I may be over analysing this but is the "I don't to go walking in the sand everyday" some kind of reference? Who cares, really, let's just dance, dance, and move a little closer. Seriously, I love this, the mixture of pure pop AND pure indie is just deadly. I'm a sucker for it every time. Play on Pipettes.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home