Indie Girl & Pop Boy

We Need A Little Edge With Our Electro Pop

Friday, February 03, 2006

Blasting On Indie Girl's Stereo This Week...

That's right, I'm not dead! Yes, firstly I would like to apologise for my lack of effort for this blog. I have had a half-arsed attitude to everything for the last month or so but hey, that was January. And everybody knows that January is as depressing as shit.

So I will give a little sum up of what i've been listening to recently to heighten your curiousity and buy them (or y'know, get them offa Soulseek if you don't totally trust my judgement)

Panic! At the Disco - I Write Sins Not Tragedies
Apart from having an extremely ace name.. I really, really, really love this song. I really do. I should hate it, but it's the first bit of "emo" lark i've loved and it's ever so fabulous. I mean, even the video is gothic campery. The lead singer leaping around looking like Johnny Depp playing Willy Wonka and telling the bride that she's a whore wearing a truly fantastic hat. Others have called Panic! a cross between Fall Out Boy (who I find to be excruiating bar their cover of "Love Will Tear Us Apart") and the Killers (who are aceness in pink blazers) and it's not really the only similarities. Well, Panic! were actually discovered by Fall Out Boy's Pete Wentz and signed to his label, and they are also from Las Vegas and have a lead singer called Brendon (which isn't a million miles away from a certain Mr Flowers) Coincedence, yes? I like to think not.

Watch the video: http://www.mtv2.com/#videoPremiere/1521279

Arctic Monkeys - A Certain Romance
Yep boys, i'm believing the hype. Well, not really. I think it's been blown out of proportion by that NME crowd but anyway... that's another story. But however, I do think this is probably the best track on the album. I mean, it has actually has heart and feeling and is a great way to sum up the album and round it off. the whole album talks about going out to indie discos and getting in trouble with the law. this song tells us that perhaps Alex yearns for more than that, but he cannot do anything. Great song from a massively overhyped album (I only enjoy half the tracks) and probably worth the visit to see live. Though there was no bloody chance of me getting tickets and am yet to hear if Pop Boy had any success. I may just have to linger around listening to the album for yet another night.

The Rakes - 22 Grand Job
Watch the video and learn the dance! Hours of fun! And a nice indie alternative at the moment to a band who I mentioned above.

Charlotte Hatherley - Bastardo
This was out around a year ago and only just started listening again. I love it. I love it. I love it. It's a camp little ditty with a kitschy little comic book video and cute comedy lyrics ("and in the morning when I woke, there was no Antonio, just some money that he'd left for the memory of me") and I always sing along with the backing singers... they get the best lines... Get the song, or even better... watch the video........ here: http://www.xfm.co.uk/Article.asp?id=68516&spid

EDIT: Late Add-on
Protocol - Where's The Pleasure In You?
This song is bloody brilliant. Fair enough, it does sound dangerously like The Bravery but not completely the same. Thank god. They have a better edge and a looping catchy melody and lyrics and I love it already. Hey, I go through whims so i'll probably hate it tomorrow but revel in it today. Great new electro indie rock! (is it just me, or are all the genres getting more and more complicated?)

What do you readers think of my taste in music?

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home