Indie Girl & Pop Boy

We Need A Little Edge With Our Electro Pop

Saturday, July 15, 2006

Sugababes v3.0 Live!

Freak Like Me/Round Round/It Ain't Easy/Acoustic Medley: Shape, Stronger/I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor/Ugly/Run For Cover/Too Lost In You/Obsession/Overload/Red Dress/Hole In the Head/Push The Button

I *think* that's the setlist. That's definitely all the songs they sung in a vague order (as in, the ones they sung first are right, the ones at the end are right, it's just the middle is a bit random). Anyway, that's all irrelevant really, because what really matters is that I saw the Sugababes live yesterday in a big field in the centre of Shrewsbury, Shropshire. That's right, the Sugababes came to Shropshire!

What's perhaps even more important is I made a sign. When I made it I thought there'd be quite a few signs thre, but there weren't so I was the only one with one. Which meant everyone looked at me. When it came to them doing 'Red Dress' I was waving my banner like a mad thing. I was hoping Amelle or Heidi would come over to our side, because they are lovely and are likely to wave and giggle at the sign. However, we got Keisha, who spent the whole song ignoring the sign, then, because she's Keisha, sneered at me in the last chorus in a "you made a sign? how sad are you? loser!" way. And I'd like to think that getting a sneer from Keisha is much better than getting a giggle from Heidi. I feel like Siobhan Donaughey.

Going back the Sugababes and their actual setlist, there was a slight problem regarding Amelle's newness as it could've meant that her input in the Mutya songs from the 'Angels' and 'Three' era would've sounded weird. Although it was slightly noticeable (as in it sounded 'different') it didn't really sound better or worse and the girl really did a good job filling Mutya's boots (and what boots to fill!). The only song that just didn't sound right at all was 'Too Lost In You' which I don't think will ever work without Mutya's voice singing Mutya's bits, it also didn't help that Amelle stumbled with the lyrics a bit. Keisha of course, gave her a sneer.

Another noticeable thing about the setlist was that they did both 'Run For Cover' and 'Overload' from the Keisha, Mutya, Siobhan era. I said before the gig that any attempt of 'Overload' from Sugababes v3.0 would be sacriligous, you just wouldn't would you? But they did, and they pulled it off rather well all things considered, though, ace as the song's are, I'd still rather they hadn't. I wouldn't go as far as to say Heidi and Amelle ruined them, but it just wasn't the same. It felt dirty and wrong.

Also, if you glance at the setlist you'll notice that they performed the 'official' twentieth greatest song of 2006 so far their cover of Arctic Monkeys' 'I Bet You Look Good On the Dancefloor', which continues to eclipse the original on every listen. The surprise was ruined slightly by the fact that we heard the band practice the intro whilst we were queuing up. In Tuesday's mega-post I wrote, "If they don't perform this song I'm going to storm onto stage and beat Keisha myself". So Keisha was saved a beating. This time.

I was shocked that they 'forgot' to perform their last single 'Follow Me Home', though, considering it's chart position (32, their lowest so far) it's possible to understand just why they chose to forget it, in a hope we would, which, judging by it's chart position, most of us already had anyway. And although it would've been nice to have had it, they had more than enough ballads already, and I'd rather dance like a loon than sway.

All in all, to cut a long story short, they were ace. Amelle is beautiful in the flesh. As is Heidi, but we knew that already. And Keisha sneered at me, so she is brilliant. The girls done good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home