Indie Girl & Pop Boy

We Need A Little Edge With Our Electro Pop

Sunday, June 18, 2006

July? Not Looking Bad...

I thought I had to post something because Pop Boy's large amount of free time is giving him time to write quite a bit for the blog and managing to make me look crap and lazy without even realising. It's only because I have school, readers. I have actual proper work to do.

And partly because I really don't know what to write about... I have been feeling disgruntled at music journalism in general after reading the pretentious over-wordy toss that seems to be printed nowadays so i'm going to pride myself in... not doing that basically. Anyway, on with the music stuff.

It's come to my attention whilst looking up things that're being released in July, there's quite a few "not bad" things! Here is a list of the three I can be bothered to write about.

Muse - Black Holes And Revelations

Yes, Pop Boy has already written a little bit about Muse, but why shouldn't we write about Muse even more? Due to some not-exactly legal measures, I have came across the entire album and it is currently residing on my iPod. I highly recommend a buy even if you're not a Muse fan. I have never been a Muse fan but this new album has taken a slightly new direction (though it is not the complete turnaround that the hype suggests) The first three tracks, Take A Bow, Starlight and the "everyone knows it's fantastic" Supermassive Black Hole are pure gold in their own special little ways. Take A Bow is stunning and chilling, Starlight is eerily lovestruck pop, and everyone knows that Supermassive Black Hole is just bloody good. This album is released on the 3rd of July.
Pre-Order "Black Holes and Revelations on Amazon
Look At Muse's MySpace Page!


Robots In Disguise - Get RiD

Mad screamy electro-punk to pop-kissed frenchness. Robots in Disguise are really the only band who can do this as well as they do. Offbeat duo Sue Denim and Dee Plume offering pop goodness like pogo-inducing anthem "Turn It Up" and then leading onto silly punkdisco track "DJ's Got A Gun." Much more upbeat than their last album, which is not bad nor good, merely showing a different style of the Robots, the first album being very good also. Get RiD is released on the 3rd of July.
Pre-Order "Get RiD" at HMV.co.uk
The Robots have one of those MySpace thingys an'all!

Performance - Short Sharp Shock EP
"I don't know what the cover looks like. I don't think it's been decided on yet."
I've heard Performance described as hilarious, yes... perhaps they are. I think the problem with Performance is that they try far too hard to be serious when they look like a parody of a "PROPA ELECTRO REVOLUTION, YEAH!" They are obviously trying to be arty and get across a message, but I advise you to buy this in the mindset of "I want something silly and wonderfully 80's to dance like a mentaler to" because I find it's the best way to appreciate Performance. Also look up their best track "Surrender" on iTunes.
Finding a link for a place to buy Performance material is almost impossible, but here's their bloody MySpace.

I also recommend the debut album by The Automatic which is out tomorrow (Monday 19th) and called "Not Accepted Anywhere." Yes, I got it in the same way I got the Muse one. My bad.

1 Comments:

  • At 10:14 pm, June 19, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Nowt to do with the actual post, but thought I would give ya this link as it will be of interest to both of you - a minute long live clip of the new Scissor Sisters single.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvxjazSAslg

     

Post a Comment

<< Home