Indie Girl & Pop Boy

We Need A Little Edge With Our Electro Pop

Saturday, February 18, 2006

Pop Boy Does The Modern

The Modern, in case you didn't know, are the biggest band of 2006 and they will take your mama, dadda and your unborn children out all night and show them what it's all about. And I was fortunate enough to see them live last night at Wolverhampton's Little Civic along with a couple of dozen other people.

As you'd expect, they were the fucking aces. And as there weren't many people, I got right to the front and could practically smell the whiff of genius that was pouring out of Nathan and Chi. They played 'my' song 'Discotheque Francais' which made me chuffed as cheese. In 'Discotheque...' they've created a sound and a lyric so in tune with my life that it's scary. Even more freakishly 'Suburban Culture' is similarly appropriate (especially with my recent Eastern European bloc-ness). This can of course mean one of two things. Either The Modern are actually the result of me stepping into a time machine and coming out talented or The Modern deserve to take over the world. And I ain't got no flux-capacitor.

Emma is of course the new Debbie Harry, the new Geri Halliwell, the new Marilyn Monroe and not to mention the young Pat Butcher all rolled into one big bundle of pure smelted sex and charisma that seems to have been poured into the 'mould' of electro-band front woman-ness. The unfortunate result of such unparalelled aceness is that Emma really has broken the mould. She trashed, sluttified and danced her way through 'Tokyo Girls' (for which she donned some mega cute bunny ears) pouted with her cherry red lips and toyyed with her platinum blonde ringlets. Maybe I just have a thing for blondes?

Obviously, 'Industry', the new single sneaked into the set (Can anyone say single of the year?). It was, as somewhat expected, fucking mind-blowing, with Emma's moaning of "I wanna, I wanna" being particularly hypnotising.

Their first single 'Jane Falls Down' kicked off the set (though I don't know why I've mentioned it last(ish)). 'Jane' was painful and euphoric in equal parts. Emma's microphone was duffed up and the sound was all over the place, but we won't blame her, because, quite simply, it wasn't her fault at all.

They also played two songs I don't know, 'Seven Oceans' and another whose name escapes me. Both were brilliant though and make me very excited about the as-yet-unnamed album.

Apparently after the show the band came out and signed posters and talked to people. I'll admit I'm jealous secretly but I'm going to pretend that I've grown up now (I'm 18 in two weeks!) and that all this fanboy-ness is above me (though I'm convincing no-one). My fandom far exceeds this anyway, as I bought a t-shirt. Unfortunately they only had girl's sizes so I sort of have a The Modern belly top. As if I wasn't gay enough already... etc.

Plus, if I'd've met Emma, I cna't guarantee I wouldn't have combusted.

2 Comments:

  • At 9:01 pm, February 25, 2006, Blogger Indie Girl said…

    I *heart* Industry. It's the aces.

    But! When I saw the video, the guys did come across as sort of pretentious electro tossers. Only a bit. Kind of felt they were too arty/cool for me to be a fan.

     
  • At 5:07 pm, February 26, 2006, Blogger Paul said…

    Am off to see The Modern on monday at Birmingham Academy. Will post review on my new blogsite so click my profile tues if you want to read it! LOVE your site :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home